Find Your Course
Liverpool Hope Logo
Section Menu

Postgraduate Students

The two main costs you will have during your postgraduate studies are living costs and tuition fees. However, there is no guaranteed funding to meet these costs. The cost of funding a postgraduate course is most often met through self-funding as money from other sources is either limited or only applies to distinct groups.

The information here is for guidance only as circumstances can change and so you should contact the Student Funds Office at Hope for up to date information or visit the Prospects postgraduate guide website. This guide contains information relevant to ‘home’ (UK) students studying for MPhil, PhD or Masters Awards. PGCE students are eligible for student loans and grants.

Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)

Funding is available across a wide range of subjects in the Arts and Humanities (AHRC) to cover both tuition fees and living costs. However, only a small number of applicants are successful. Having a place on a course does not guarantee funding.

Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL)

Professional and Career Development Loans (PCDL) are available for vocational courses (i.e. job related), which are full or part time, and are no longer than 2 years (3 years if the course includes 1 year practical experience). To be eligible you must: live or intend to train in Great Britain. Non-EU nationals not permanently resident need Home Office approval to study and work in the UK. Those who have restrictions on their stay are unlikely to receive a CDL. The minimum loan payment is £300, the maximum £8000. The loan can pay up to 80% of tuition fees (100% if you have been out of work for 3 months) plus all other related costs such as books/materials, travel and childcare. Students studying full time can request a loan to help cover living costs.

For information and an application form telephone the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900, or visit

Social Security Benefits

Students studying full time cannot usually claim income support, job seeker's allowance or housing benefit unless they belong to a particular group of eligible students such as lone parents. For more information please contact the Welfare Benefits Adviser on 0151 291 3427. Part-time study refers to attendance on a course that is not defined as full time. For further information on rights to benefits, contact as above.

Access to Learning Fund

Please see separate section for the .

Disabled Students Allowance

The Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is worth up to £10,260 for both full-time and part-time students. The amount received will depend upon the needs assessment. For further information, contact Support Services for Students with Disabilities or call 0151 291 3065.

Educational trusts and charities

Generally, you need to demonstrate you have exhausted all other possible financial support. Furthermore, most Educational trusts and charities have exact eligibility conditions, e.g. age, gender, residency.

Postgrad Solutions Bursaries

Bursaries of £500 are available across a number of subject areas.  Please visit the Postgraduate website to apply.

Further information and guidance

For general information and guidance please contact student funds:


t: 0151 291 3435/3464/3488.