Being physically active is one of the most important things you can do for your health and well-being. It’s recommended that activity should add up to at least 150 minutes (2½ hours) per week. You should aim for moderate (anything that increases heart rate and breaks a sweat) to high intensity (Fast and hard breathing and high increase in heart rate).
What are the benefits?
- Improvements in mood
- Lower anxiety levels
- Improvements in sleeping patterns
- Increased energy
- Reduces risk of a range of diseases, e.g. coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
Small changes can make a big difference!
Being physically active doesn’t mean you have to spend every waking hour on the treadmill, here are some quick and easy ways to add some exercise to your day.
- Take the stairs instead of using escalators or lifts
- Walk instead of taking the car or public transport
- Make use of the Citibikes (there’s one right by both our campuses)
- Try some of these gym free Workouts
- Let the outdoors be your gym and go for a run in the park.
Sport at Hope
There are a number of sports clubs and societies that you can join or get involved with to help increase your physical activity and they’re also great for making friends and improving your social life. You can check out what clubs and societies are available on the SU website.
Hope Park Sports
Our brand new Hope Park Sports Complex is now open!
The £5.5 million investment has a number of features, including:
- Main sports hall with 6 courts and a viewing gallery
- Squash courts
- Gym and fitness rooms
- Strength and conditioning suites
- Zest cafe
View the photo gallery of our new Sports Complex.
Based within the Faculty of Science, the new Sports Complex is the second phase in our Sports Science Avenue, which also includes our new Health Sciences Building.
The aim is to integrate health sciences, sports sciences and the overall wellbeing of our students, and create a hub of sports activity and research on campus.
There are no monthly fees - a single yearly registration fee of £25 is all that is required and then the gym facilities, courts and fitness classes are all free for you to use!
Other activities include:
50% discount on City Bikes – simply use the code CB/Hope/C04