Find Your Course
Liverpool Hope Logo
Section Menu

Information for Care Leavers

At Liverpool Hope University we aim to support Care Leavers to ensure that you make the most of your time here with us. We have a dedicated member of staff, Ruth Thomson, who can help ease your transition into Higher Education. We also provide ongoing support throughout your university experience to maximise your potential to achieve success. 


What is a Care Leaver?

A Care Leaver can be identified as young person aged 18-21 who has been looked after for 13 weeks or more since the age of 14, or a young person who ceased to be looked after / accommodated when coming to university. 

The University understands that every student’s circumstances are different and we will consider all requests for additional support on an individual basis. We also understand that as a Care Leaver you may not want or need additional support.


Not sure if you are a Care Leaver?

The charity VOICE have an online guide which can help you discover if you are a Care Leaver and provides information on what support you may be entitled to from your local authority. 


Extra Advice and Support

In addition to the support available from Student Development & Well-being, to ensure you have the best possible student experience, we can offer you:

  • A supportive link between the University, you and your local authority
  • Advise on the various services and support available to you whilst at university
  • A supportive link between you and your Course Tutors/faculty staff
  • Advise regarding any financial help and guidance available to you during your studies
  • Help in securing access to university accommodation for 365 days of the year while at university
  • Someone just to talk to when you need it


Accessing Support

If you are a current student and would like to discuss your situation further, or if you’re thinking about coming to study at Liverpool Hope, please contact Student Development and Well-being.

T: 0151 291 3827


We will be happy to answer any questions and discuss any issues you have.  We also have a specialist Welfare Benefits Adviser based within the Students Union who can ensure you are receiving any financial support to which you are entitled whilst at the university.


Social Workers - please contact Student Development and Well-being for information and advice on helping/advising young people who wish to apply to university.