Find Your Course
Liverpool Hope Logo

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions


Where is Liverpool Hope University?

Liverpool is in the North-West of England, an hour from Manchester, just over a 2 hour train ride from London and a short boat ride away from Ireland. Liverpool Hope University has two campuses in Liverpool - Hope Park, which is three miles from the city centre, and the Creative Campus, which is within a brisk walk of the city centre. In the middle of these there is the accommodation complex, Aigburth Park.

We also have an outdoor centre at Plas Caerdeon in Wales.

More information on Liverpool.

More information on Liverpool Hope University


How do I apply?

Please see the Study Abroad page. Submit your application with a letter of reference from one of your professors, a transcript and a scanned copy of your passport. That's it!


Can I apply to Liverpool Hope even if there isn’t an existing study abroad agreement with my school?

Yes! All you need to do is work with your home university to make sure the courses that you take here at Liverpool Hope will transfer back. Just apply as above, and contact us if you have any questions or need any help!


Do I need a Visa?

Yes. There are two types of student visas for the UK, depending how long you are studying here for - please go to our Immigration and Visas  page for further information.  


What are the entry requirements?

Students should normally be registered undergraduates in a recognised University or College who are in good academic standing and who have:

    1. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 ('B' average) or results of an equivalent standard (please provide your latest official transcript)
    2. One academic letter of reference from your home institution - this must be from your Professor.
    3. We require a transcript of results

It is expected that you will normally be studying with us in your junior or senior year but students in other years will also be considered.


When is the application deadline?

For advice about our Study Abroad deadlines, look at the back page of the 2018/19 Study Abroad and Exchange Guide


What subjects can I study?

Please browse through the 2018/19 Study Abroad and Exchange Course Catalogue for a list of courses that you can study at Liverpool Hope.

If you have any question, please contact us at

You can choose courses in years one, two or three of study, however Year Two and Year Three courses may require prior experience - this is because the English university system involves a three year degree in a single subject, so high levels of expertise are built up by the second and third year of study.


How many classes can I take?

You can take a variety of options: two 30 credit courses, one 30 and two 15 credit courses, or four 15 credit courses. The only rule is that you must have 60 credits - no more, no less!


When will I get my course choices confirmed / get my timetable?

We aim to have student timetables emailed out a month before classes start. Since English students take courses from their major only, there is less of a stress on having timetables out. That said, we do know that our Study Abroad students want to know their schedule, so we try to get it out as soon as the University releases timetable information!


How and when will I get my results/transcripts?

After you have returned home, your results will be emailed to you following approval at an Academic Board - this is usually one month after your course has ended (slightly longer for Semester One students, due to the Christmas holiday break). After you have received your results, an official transcript will be sent to your home university.


Where will I live?

All Study Abroad students are given housing at our Aigburth Park Student Vilage for the duration of their studies. Please go to our Accommodation information for more details.


When should I arrive / leave?

If you are studying at LHU in the Fall Semester you should arrive during Arrivals Weekend, which is the weekend before Orientation.

If you are studying at LHU in the Spring Semester, you will need to arrive one - two days before Orientation.

Arrival dates for 2018/19 can be found on our Arrival and Orientation page


Will I be met at the airport when I arrive?

Yes - we collect from Manchester International Airport on Arrival Day only. From July you can download an Airport Collection Request from our Arrival and Orientation page.


Does Liverpool Hope University organise an orientation programme for Study Abroad Students?

Yes. We have an Orientation Programme which is available from July at the Arrival and Orientation page - this includes a local and city tour, a trip to Chester by train, a campus tour, Library induction, information workshops and academic support. 


Should I bring my own towels, bedding, kitchen utensils etc?

A bedding pack is provided as part of your package. You must provide your own towels and anything you need for the kitchen, such as dishes, silverware and cooking utensils. These can be bought cheaply from local shops after you arrive.  For further information go to our How to Prepare  page.


Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter?

The UK electrical system is based on three pin 13 amp plugs which means you may need to bring an electrical adapter with you. Each study bedroom is fitted with a 220v – 240v electrical supply.


Should I bring a mobile phone?

Pay as you go sim cards in the UK are cheap and easily accessible. 


Is there internet access in the rooms?

Yes. There is free and unlimited internet access available in all rooms and in all areas of the campuses.


Should I open a bank account in the UK?

If you are here for a full academic year, you can open a bank account in the UK in order for you to access your money without charges.

The banks will require your passport and a letter confirming that you are a student at Liverpool Hope University, which we can supply - just ask for a Status Letter.

When you have transferred your money and opened your account, there are normally no bank charges for student accounts, provided you comply with the bank's regulations. You should also check with your bank, some US banks have been known to waive ATM/International charges for account holders while overseas.


How much are living costs / what expenses should I prepare for?

In the UK the cost of living matches most other places in the European Union. Some things are cheaper than in other places, particularly clothes, food and drinks, whereas others are likely to be more expensive, especially tourist accommodation, eating out and travel (by rail). For a breakdown of these prices, please visit the expenses section of our website for more information.


Will I need to buy lots of books?

British universities do not require that students buy books to the same extent as US universities. Most courses have texts that you are advised to buy, but they will usually only be one or two books. We estimate this cost to be around £150 for a semester, but this cost can be reduced by purchasing second hand books (there are various websites and shops in Liverpool for this) or checking them out from the library.


Can I work/volunteer whilst in the UK?

Only if you arrive on a Tier 4 Visa. Otherwise, it is illegal for you to work or volunteer during your stay in the UK.


Do I need health insurance?

Yes. All Study Abroad Students will need to take out Medical Insurance whilst at Liverpool Hope University. Study Abroad students here for a semester must register as a visiting student and will be charged for consultations. Students who join us for a full year will receive free medical services through the NHS, but will not be covered if they travel outside of the UK. Students here for one semester are eligible for free care for emergency treatment, psychiatric care and the family planning clinic under the NHS. You will also need to take out an insurance policy to cover your travel and possessions while you are in Britain.


What is the weather like in the UK?

The weather is very changeable in the UK. It doesn’t rain all the time, but being prepared for different types of weather is the best advice we can give!

From November to March, expect cold temperatures, with regular wind and rain and occasional snow. We do have some cold and sunny days but you will always need an outdoor coat at this time of year.

From April to October, the weather is a bit more predictable and temperatures will be in the range of 14-24 degrees Celcius, however, weather conditions can vary even within a single day - we are an island so anything can happen!


Can I come into the office to ask a question?

Yes! The International Hub is located on the first floor of the Gateway Building and we have an open-door policy, so you are welcome any time between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. If you can't make it in person, just contact us at