Find Your Course
Liverpool Hope Logo

‌How to Prepare for Life in the UK

If you have applied to study in the UK or already have a course offer, you may need advice about how to prepare for your journey or you may be wondering what life will be like after you arrive – read on! We hope this information helps, but please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions at


Preparing for your journey

You can arrive in Liverpool via the following routes: 

  • flight to Liverpool John Lennon Airport
  • flight to Manchester International Airport followed by train or taxi to Liverpool
  • flight to any London airport followed by air shuttle to Liverpool John Lennon Airport, or train to Liverpool Lime Street station, or National Express bus to Liverpool 1 Bus Depot

We offer an Airport Collection service to students on the International Study Abroad or American Exchange Programmes – see the Arrivals and Orientation page for further information and the Request Form.

IMPORTANT: Please see the official Government information for travel guidance to the UK HERE.


Finding somewhere to live

Halls - if you are single, we highly recommend living in our Halls of Residence as they provide you with a safe and secure base from which to explore Liverpool and where you can enjoy the company of other Liverpool Hope Students.

There are rooms at three campus locations:

  • Hope Park is the main teaching campus and has over 500 rooms which are suitable for first year undergraduates, however, as the noise levels are what you would expect from that cohort, we do not recommend it for anyone else
  • The Creative Campus is also a teaching campus and has 180 rooms, mainly occupied by first year undergraduates who are studying at that campus - unless your classes are taught there (Music, Art, Design, Dance, Curatorship or CPA), we do not recommend it for international students, unless you particularly want to be based near to the city centre
  • Aigburth Park is where most international students live - it is quieter and more relaxed than the other campuses, plus it has the added bonus of being only a ten-minute ride  into the city centre by bus or train. There are great local facilities within a few minutes walk of the campus, with beautiful Sefton Park, the cafes and cocktail bars of Lark Lane and a wealth of shops and fast food outlets only a few minutes walk away. International students living at Aigburth Park are supportive of each other and understand how it feels to be away from home, plus there are many UK students living there, so its a great place to make new friends from all around the world

All our rooms and associated study/social areas, are owned by the University and are maintained to a very high standard. We do expect you to abide by the rules in the accommodation contract, but outside of those, you can come and go whenever you like and as all the Halls are self-catering, you can choose when and what to eat.

Aigburth Park offers a choice of lower and higher-priced rooms. There is a free shuttle bus to take you to classes at Hope Park or the Creative Campus. Students tell us what a fantastic time they have at Aigburth Park and it is where many life-long friendships have started.

To book a room in Halls of Residence, please complete the online application HERE. The application process opens in April each year.


Private rooms - if you have a partner or would like the freedom to live off campus, all students except for Study Abroad and American Exchange students, can choose to live in privately-owned accommodation in Liverpool. There is a wide choice available, from sharing a house with other students to having your own private studio in the city centre. Prices vary according to the facilities offered, so don’t necessarily choose the cheapest as this will reflect the standard of the room and the area it is in.

We would advise you to use the University-sponsored organisation Liverpool Student Homes (LSH) to search for your private accommodation – there are many private agencies in Liverpool but we only recommend LSH, as they are non-profit making and will support you if you need help. You can search for all types of accommodation on their website. The widest choice of shared houses is in the area ‘Smithdown/Wavertree’ and the widest choice of en-suite rooms is in the city centre (choose ‘Large Developments’).


What to bring with you 

Clothing - The UK weather is unpredictable and can change several times during the course of a day. The average temperatures in the UK are:

Winter temperatures average 4.4 °C (40 °F)

Summer temperatures average 15.6 °C (60 °F)

  • temperatures and weather conditions can vary considerably, even in the course of a single day, so you really need to bring a selection of clothes. If you arrive in September it is likely to be cool with frequent rain. If your course starts in January, you can expect it to be extremely cold, so a warm coat is needed 
  • dress code around the campus is informal and most students wear jeans and t-shirts with trainers, however, you should always be fully dressed, even when it is hot 
  • restaurants and clubs in the city centre expect you to be smartly dressed and some do not allow guests wearing jeans or trainers 
  • if you live in Halls of Residence, Level C (Year 1) undergraduate students may be invited to a formal meal hosted by Liverpool Hope staff - for these occasions you need a smarter outfit 
  • there is a wide range of clothes shops in the city centre and you can purchase reasonably priced clothes in stores such as Primark, New Look and H&M, or major Supermarkets like Asda and Tesco 

Laptops - there is unlimited WiFi in all Halls and on campus, so you can use your laptop anywhere. If you do not have a laptop, there are a number of areas where you can make use of free computers, both on campus and near the halls of residence, so you do not need to bring a laptop, although most students have one. 

Items for your Accommodation - if you live in Halls of Residence, all the electrical equipment you need in the kitchen will be provided (check your accommodation contract) but you will need to provide your own cutlery, crockery, pans and utensils plus bedding, and cleaning items. These items can be purchased from home discount stores or supermarkets. Please note that you will be responsible for cleaning your own room and the communal areas in your flat. 

Items for your Course - stationery and books can be purchased on campus. Check Moodle before arrival for reading lists. If you order anything to be delivered to campus, use your Hall address and make sure you include your name, room number and Hall as hundreds of parcels are delivered each week.


Conduct in the UK – Hints and Tips

England, like all countries, has its own customs and it can all feel very strange at first, but the staff at the International Hub will give you plenty of information and will help you to settle in.

  • greeting – we usually shake hands as a greeting – we do not usually offer a kiss, although friends often offer a single kiss on the cheek (this does not usually apply to men greeting other men)
  • talking – we love to talk, although very loud conversation and shouting is not generally acceptable (however, you should NOT hold private conversations in class when the Tutor is speaking). You will find that in Liverpool, complete strangers may start a conversation with you, especially taxi drivers – this is normal and should be taken as friendliness
  • use of mobile phones – you can use mobile phones anywhere on campus, but they should be switched off and not used for calls, texting or browsing during lectures and classes

  • when shopping, most stores are ‘browse and pay’, so just put what you want in a store basket (not into your own bag), or on a tray if in a café, then go to a pay point (known as a 'till') to pay

  • all stores and food outlets take credit or debit cards, however if you do want cash, there are plenty of ATM machines available. You do not have to be a customer of the bank who own the ATM machine, to use it

  • please note that the use of cannabis is illegal in the UK and you can be arrested and detained for use or possession. If found using illegal substances in Halls of Residence you will be permanently excluded from living there and will have to find alternative accommodation, even if you have paid for your room (see the Accommodation Contract) 


Visa Information and Advice 

If you need help in applying for your visa, please go to our Visa Advice section HERE.


UK Council and British Council Information

For further information you may like to look at the website UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) - this is the UK's national advisory body serving the interests of International Students and those who work with them. UKCISA has useful advice for International Students preparing to begin their studies in the UK. Visit the UKCISA website HERE