Following 7-year clinical research at the University of Liverpool, I joined Liverpool Hope University in 2013 as associate professor at the School of Health Sciences (Sport and Exercise Science). Currently I am the Deputy Head and Director of Research at the School of Health Sciences. I was graduated in Medicine in 1995 (MD) and obtained my PhD in Musculoskeletal Science (Sports Medicine) from the University of Liverpool in 2006. While doing PhD. I am a fully GMC-registered medical practitioner and hold an honorary contract with the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust (Orthopaedic and Trauma). I hold an honorary research contract (Clinical Research Fellow) with University of Liverpool where I collaborate on different upper limb research projects.
My research interests:
· Integrated Kinematic (Motion Capture) and Kinetic (EMG, Force) studies of: Daily Activities; Musculoskeletal conditions (Upper extremity in particular);
Sporting Activities; Sport Injuries; Rehabilitation Exercises; Ageing/Sarcopenia
· Outcome measurements and Health-related quality of life in musculoskeletal conditions
· The Impact of physical activity and exercise on muscle properties in adults and older people
1) English Institute of Sport (Upper Limb Research
2) Liverpool Physical Activity and Sport (PAS) Strategy 2020 (Performance and Evaluation Panel)
3) Musculoskeletal Science Research Group - University of Liverpool
4) Magnetic Resonance and Image Analysis Research Centre (MARIARC) - University of Liverpool
5) Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences - Liverpool John Moores University
6) Medical Physics & Clinical Engineering - Royal Liverpool University Hospital & University of Liverpool
7) Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals – Orthopaedics/Physiotherapy Departments
I am currently involved in several research projects as PI, Research Supervisor, and Director of Studies:
1. Health Benefits of Tennis: A Multidimensional Study of Physical and Psychosocial Functioning, Nutritional State, and Health-Related Quality of Life in Senior Tennis Players
2. The influence of Kinetic Chain sequencing on throwing performance in athletes with and without shoulder injuries
3. The multidimensional effect of supervised moderate exercise training on musculoskeletal function and health-related quality of life in age-related sarcopenia
4. An investigation into the effect of nutritional supplementation and exercise training on musculoskeletal function and health related quality of life in age-related sarcopenia
5. An investigation into the body composition, nutritional status and fitness of elite Hurling players in Ireland
6. Investigating the visuomotor and cortical mechanisms behind learning to use a prosthetic hand
7. Complex Shoulder Instability (Functional MRI and EMG)
8. Improving Coordination in Children with developmental coordination disorder (DCD)
Some of my
recent publications include:
O, Frostick SP. (2015) Electromyographic Assessment of Forearm Muscle Function
in Tennis Players With and Without Lateral Epicondylitis. Journal of
Electromyography and Kinesiology. 25(6):876-86.
2. Alizadehkhaiyat O, Hawkes D, Kemp GJ, Frostick SP. (In Press) Electromyographic Analysis of the Shoulder Girdle Musculature during External Rotation Exercises. Orthopaedic Journal of Sport Medicine.
3. Alizadehkhaiyat O, Hawkes D, Kemp GJ, Frostick SP. (2015) Electromyographic Analysis of Shoulder Girdle Muscles during Common Internal Rotation Exercises. The International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 10(5):645-54
4. Alizadehkhaiyat O, Mandhari A, Wood A, Sinopidis C, Frostick S. (2015) Total Elbow Arthroplasty: A Prospective Clinical Outcome Study of Discovery Elbow System with a 4-Year Mean Follow-Up. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 24:52-9.
5. Hawkes D, Alizadehkhaiyat O, Fisher AC, Kemp GJ, Roebuck MM, Frostick SP. (2015) Electromyographic Assessment of Muscle Fatigue in Massive Rotator Cuff Tear. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 25(1):93-9
6. Alizadehkhaiyat O, Hawkes D, Kemp GJ, Howard A, Frostick SP. (2014) Upper Extremity strength and its relationship with Skeletal Muscle Mass Indices as Determined by Segmental Bio- impedance. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 114: 177-185
7. Alizadehkhaiyat O, Kyriakos A, Singer M, Frostick SP. (2013) Outcome of Copeland shoulder resurfacing arthroplasty with a 4-year mean follow-up. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 22(10):1352-8.