The course will provide participants with the models and techniques to apply strategic management theories and concepts to social enterprises. The course will look at the challenges of strategic management in social/community enterprise when aiming to balance both social and commercial objectives. The course will assist students in gaining the knowledge required to ensure their organisations understand the importance of having a clear mission and a balanced strategy to achieve the strategic goals of the enterprise.
Course length: 2 x half days (Friday)
2 x full days (Saturday)
The course aims to provide delegates with:
· The ability to investigate strategy development models and to evaluate their applicability to the social enterprise/community organisation.
· An understanding of the special hybridity of social/community enterprise and the concept of social entrepreneurship.
· The ability to grasp the strategic role of functional departments and other types of business units in the building and maintenance of competitive advantage.
· The ability to master a range of analytical tools with which to conduct the analysis required to build value creating strategies based on internal capabilities and market opportunities for social/community enterprise.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
· Undertake a critical analysis of the different strategic issues at the corporate, business unit and operational level with special reference to social entrepreneurs and their stakeholders.
· Explain the nature and sources of competitive advantage with special reference to social/community enterprise.
· Critically evaluate the usefulness of a range of strategic decision making models in different contexts with special reference to social/community enterprise organisations.
· Apply a range of analytical models and techniques to determine an organisation’s strategic options.
· Develop clear plans for the implementation of an organisation’s strategy that show a thorough grasp of the cultural, structural and behavioural issues involved in implementing change in organisations.
· Define and critically evaluate the intra- and inter-organisational relationships that must be managed for effective strategy development and implementation.
Continuing Professional Development Officer
+44 (0) 151 291 2157
+44 (0) 7740 174027