This course, pioneered by the Centre for Fair Trade Studies in the Business School at Liverpool Hope University, is the first UK Postgraduate programme in fair trade. The course will provide participants with an in depth understanding of the fair trade sector by looking at the history and development of the sector, the empowerment of producers, commercial strategies, supply chains and changing/challenging terms of trade.
Participants will also be able to see how they can contribute to the development of fair trade in the future, including the Fairtrade certification system behind the FAIRTRADE Mark. The concepts and models will be applied in a number of learning experiences, theoretical and real case study analysis, to develop skills in critical analysis and to provide an understanding of best practice for fair trade.
Course length: 3 x full days
The course aims to provide delegates with the ability to:
· Demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of the definitions, historical context, the structure of the fair trade industry and the growth of fair trade.
· Critically assess how the fair trade system works and the position of fair trade in the global economy and its impact on producers and consumers.
· Apply ethical, economic and enterprise concepts such as business ethics, value systems, stakeholder management models, social entrepreneurship, social campaigning and measuring impact tools to fair trade organisations.
· Highlight current trends in the fair trade sector and best practice.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
· Critically evaluate the definitions and historical context of fair trade
· Critically appraise the structure of the fair trade sector and the growth of fair trade
· Critically examine how the fair trade system works and the position of fair trade in the global economy
· Critically evaluate fair trade using economic, ethical and management theories to help understand the impact of fair trade
· Evaluate the role, responsibility and impact of fair trade organisations
· Map and present the history of fair trade.
This course runs over three consecutive days.
The next course starts on 15th June 2012.
Continuing Professional Development Officer
+44 (0) 151 291 2157
+44 (0) 7740 174027