Liverpool Hope Logo
Find Your Course

Information for care leavers and care experienced students

We aim to support care leavers and care experienced students to ensure that you make the most of your time here with us. If you were looked after by a local authority during your childhood, you may be eligible for additional support from the University.

What is the difference between a care leaver and care experienced?

According to The Care Leavers' Association, you qualify as a 'care leaver' if you...

  • have left care
  • are aged 18-25
  • were in care on or after your 16th birthday
  • have spent a minimum of 13 weeks in Local Authority care since you were 14

The term 'care experienced' refers to anyone who has been in care at any stage of their life, no matter how short a period.

If you are unsure whether you qualify as a care leaver or not, the charity Coram Voice has an online guide that can help you discover if you are a care leaver and provides information on what support you may be entitled to from your local authority. 

Extra advice and support

We understand that not all people leaving the care system will identify as a ‘care leaver’, and we realise that your experience of being in care is unique - no two students are the same or in the same situation. Some of our students who have come from a care background tell us they have supportive foster families they can return to in the holidays and receive adequate financial support from their local authority. Others find themselves without support in the holidays and struggling financially without a family to ask for help. Sometimes, it helps just to check in with someone to make sure you’re getting the support you need, whether that’s financially, practically, or with your course.

So, if there’s any part of University life or your individual circumstances that you’d like to talk through, please get in touch.

Pastoral support

In addition to the support available from Student Development & Well-being, to ensure you have the best possible student experience, we can offer you:

  • A supportive link between the University, you, and your local authority
  • Advice on the various services and support available to you whilst at university
  • A supportive link between you and your Course Tutors/faculty staff
  • Advice regarding any financial help and guidance available to you during your studies
  • Help in securing access to university accommodation for 365 days of the year while at university
  • Someone just to talk to when you need it

Financial support

From September 2022, the University is pleased to announce that they will be supporting UK care leaver students studying a full-time Undergraduate degree programme through the Hope Care Leavers Bursary. Further information about the bursary is available on our Scholarships webpage and details on how to apply will be made available soon.

Accessing support

If you are a current student and would like to discuss your situation further, or if you’re thinking about coming to study at Liverpool Hope, please contact Andee Moorcroft, the Student Well-being Officer. He will be happy to answer any questions and discuss any issues you have. 

T: 0151 291 3827
E: moorcra@hope.ac.uk

There is also a specialist Welfare Benefits Adviser based within the Students Union who can ensure you are receiving any financial support to which you are entitled whilst at the university.

T: 0151 291 3708
E: suadvice@hope.ac.uk

Social Workers - please contact Student Development and Well-being on sdw@hope.ac.uk for information and advice on helping/advising young people who wish to apply to university.

Useful websites

Care Leavers may find the websites listed on this page useful, whether you are applying to university or currently a student here with us.

General Information

Buttle UK - UK charity providing grant aid to young people in need.

Catch 22 - National advice, support, and development service focussing on young people’s transition from care.

The Care Leavers' Association - A user-led charity run by care leavers for care leavers.

The EaCES Handbook has been created by current Estranged and Care Experienced Students in the UK anre Ireland to summarise all of the advice and information they know about to support students like them in higher and further education and to share their own lived experiences and stories.

Information on your rights

Coram Voice - An independent advocacy organisation for young people.

Department for Education - Government website dedicated to the education sector.

National Youth Advocacy Service - Offering advice, advocacy, and legal representation to young people.

Information about financial support

Bright Knowledge - Provides advice about student finance and much more in the online Bright Knowledge library.

EGAS Online - Education Graduation Advice Site

Gov Student Finance - Provides services and information for those in England who are interested in financial support for students in Higher Education

Information on qualifications, course, and university choice

Pearson Edexcel