Liverpool Hope Logo
Find Your Course
Section Menu

Information for Estranged Students

Sometimes students can find themselves estranged from their family members for a number of different reasons. This may have happened before they choose to come to university or at any time throughout the course of their study.

If you are currently estranged from your parent(s) or carer(s), support and advice is available to ensure that you have the best chance of achieving your full potential whilst at university.  We have a dedicated member of staff within Student Development & Well-being who has the role of assisting students who are in this situation.

Important Information when Applying for Student Funding

If you are estranged from your family, you can apply to Student Finance England/Wales and Northern Ireland as an ‘independent student’. This means that your parents’ income will not be taken into account when you are being assessed for the means-tested elements of the application. Instead, it is likely that only your personal household income will be considered. 

However, in order to be assessed as an independent student you will be required to provide evidence of your estrangement. Stand Alone Student Guide below has been produced by the charity StandAlone and contains helpful information on how to apply for student funding if you are estranged.

What support can I get from the University?

In addition to the support available from Student Development & Well-being, to ensure you have the best possible student experience, we can offer you:

  • advice on the various services and support available to you whilst at university
  • a supportive link between you and your Course Tutors/faculty staff
  • advice regarding any financial help and guidance available to you during your studies
  • help in securing access to university accommodation for 365 days of the year while at university
  • someone to talk to when you need it.

Accessing Support

If you are a current student and would like to discuss your situation further, or if you’re thinking about coming to study here at Liverpool Hope, please contact Student Development and Well-being.  

T: 0151 291 3827


We will be happy to answer any questions and discuss any issues you may have.

Useful Resources for Estranged Young People

StandAlone is a charity offering support to people who are estranged from their family or children. Their primary aim is to break down the stigma around estrangement and support estranged people in their daily lives. They have also produced a number of helpful guides designed specifically for estranged students who look at issues such as Student Finance, obtaining relevant evidence of estrangement and accommodation options.  

ButtleUK offers financial support to young people in the UK who are experiencing estrangement to enable them to fully access and participate in education, employment or training opportunities. Grants of up to £2,000 may be available to help you with such things as ‘setting up home costs’.

Brightside have produced some useful information for students who are estranged from their family and applying for student finance.