Applications for 2022 Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for least developed and fragile states) are currently open. The CSC does not accept direct applications for these Scholarships; applicants must apply by the 1 November 2021 via one of the national nominating agencies, selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies or selected universities/university bodies (PhD only). Full details are available on the CSC website.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships are for candidates for full-time doctoral study at a UK university.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK. These scholarships are offered under six themes:
1. Science and technology for development
2. Strengthening health systems and capacity
3. Promoting global prosperity
4. Strengthening global peace, security and governance
5. Strengthening resilience and response to crises
6. Access, inclusion and opportunity
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2022
- By September 2022, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree). The CSC would not normally fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to provide justification as to why you wish to undertake this study
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
More information can be found directly:
How to apply
You must make your application directly to the CSC using the CSC’s online application system. The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the online application system. You are not required to apply via a nominating body for these scholarships.
Only one application per applicant for these scholarships will be accepted.
You are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible, as the online application system will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline.
Supporting documentation: Your application must include the following supporting documentation by
- Proof that you are a citizen of an eligible Commonwealth country: a copy of your valid passport (or national ID card) showing your photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship – uploaded to the online application system
- Full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications listed on your online application form (with certified translations if not in English). All transcripts must be up to date at the time of submitting your application, including any transcripts to date for qualifications for which you are currently reading – uploaded to the online application system
- References from at least two individuals – submitted directly by the referee to the online application system (referees will be sent an email request).
- A supporting statement from a proposed supervisor at one or more of the UK universities named on your application form – submitted directly by your supervisor to the online application system (supervisors will be sent an email request).
The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted outside the online application system.
How to Apply
The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make change. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates. For further information on the support available to candidates with a disability, see the CSC disability support statement.
Please note that the CSC does not charge candidates to apply for any of its scholarships or fellowships through its online application system.