Liverpool Hope Logo Liverpool Hope Logo
Liverpool Hope Logo

Commonwealth PhD Scholarships

Applications for 2022 Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for least developed and fragile states) are currently open. The CSC does not accept direct applications for these Scholarships; applicants must apply by the 1 November 2021 via one of the national nominating agencies, selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies or selected universities/university bodies (PhD only). Full details are available on the CSC website.

Commonwealth PhD Scholarships are for candidates for full-time doctoral study at a UK university.

Commonwealth PhD Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK. These scholarships are offered under six themes:

1. Science and technology for development

2. Strengthening health systems and capacity

3. Promoting global prosperity

4. Strengthening global peace, security and governance

5. Strengthening resilience and response to crises

6. Access, inclusion and opportunity


To apply for these scholarships, you must:

  • Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
  • Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
  • Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2022
  • By September 2022, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree). The CSC would not normally fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to provide justification as to why you wish to undertake this study
  • Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
  • Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format

More information can be found directly: