Liverpool Hope Logo
Find Your Course
Section Menu

Short-term Study Visa

If you are a non EU/EEA/Swiss national coming to Liverpool Hope to study on a Study Abroad or Exchange Programme, and will be here for less than six months, you can apply for a Short-term study visa.

Please note the 6 month short-term study route will be closing in December 2020 and short courses will be supported under the visitor route. Further information will be updated when confirmed by the Home Office. 

How do I apply?

How you apply will depend on whether or not you are a visa national. Visa nationals are required to apply for permission to visit the UK prior to travel. A full list of visa nationals can be found on the UKVI website (Appendix 2).

If you are a visa national you will need to be in receipt of your short term study visa before you travel to the UK. Applications are made online and cost £97 for a 6 month visa. Please see our Visa national short-term study visa checklist for details of the documents that you are required to submit with your application.

If you are a non-visa national you are not required to apply for a visa prior to visiting the UK and can apply for entry clearance at the port of entry to the UK. You will need to speak to a Border Force Officer when you arrive and let them know that you wish to be admitted as a short-term student. You will need to provide the documentation listed in the Non-visa national short term study visa checklist.

Please note that you must enter the UK via a Port of Entry (for example Liverpool, Manchester or Heathrow). You cannot gain short-term student entry clearance if you enter the UK via the Republic of Ireland

You can find full guidance on how apply on the UKVI website and UKCISA also provide further advice and guidance on short-term study visas.

Please note that the UK Border Force have recently announced the expansion of Egates and eligible nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America will be able to use the eGates for faster automated arrival at 15 UK airports and Eurostar rail terminals.

However, short term students (up to 6 months) should not use the eGates as you will need to see a Border Force Officer for a Short Term Student Visa stamp in your passport. This stamp gives you the permission needed for your studies.

How long can I stay in the UK on a short-term study visa?

You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months for a short course (including English language courses), or a short period of research if you’re 16 or over. You must leave the UK within 30 days of the end of the study period, or before your leave expires, whichever is the earliest.

What can and can’t I do on a short-term study visa?

You can study a credit bearing course of six months or fewer including study abroad or international exchange, or do a short period of research towards a Liverpool Hope University degree.

  • You can enter the UK to re-sit examinations.
  • You can’t extend a short-term study visa or apply for other visas in the UK.
  • You can’t work, including voluntary work, work experience or a placement – even if it is unpaid, but you can volunteer (which means that you do not have a contract of employment or take the place of an employee or receive payment).
  • You can’t bring dependants.