Liverpool Hope Logo
Find Your Course
Section Menu

Visa and Immigration Advice

Whether you are joining us for a semester or a full year, and if you are from outside of the EU, you will need to apply for a visa before you travel. If you are studying for one semester, you should apply for a short-term study visa, and if you are studying for a full year then you should apply for a Tier 4 student visa.

Single semester

If you are studying at Liverpool Hope University for one semester, you will need a Short-term Study Visa. For most students, this can be applied for at the port of entry (UK Immigration Control at the airport - not available at Dublin Airport), but please check your entitlement before travelling, as this does not apply to all countries.

If the following statements apply to you, then you will be able to apply for a Short-term Study Visa:

  • You are not participating on an internship
  • You will be studying at Liverpool Hope University for less than six months
  • You are an American citizen, or your citizenship does not classify you as a visa national. Further details are available from the UKBA
  • You do not wish to work, intern or volunteer while at Liverpool Hope University

For further details about applying, visit the UK Visa and Immigration website or contact the International Hub at

Full year

If you are studying for a full year, you will need to apply for the Tier 4 student visa.

You must apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa if:

  • You are studying in the UK for more than six months
  • Your citizenship classifies you as a visa national
  • You intend to work, intern or volunteer while studying abroad

The application process for the Tier 4 Student Visa requires you to:

  • Complete an online application for entry clearance
  • Undergo a biometrics appointment
  • Mail your complete visa application to a British Consulate

You can apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa three months before your course starts - for eligibility and costs go to the UK Visa and Immigration website.

After you complete your biometrics appointment, you will need to submit all of your application materials to the British Consulate within a specified period of time.

You will need to include documentation sent from Liverpool Hope University, so please do not begin the online application until you receive this information (CAS statement).

If your application is incomplete and this window of time closes, you will need to reapply from the beginning and re-pay all visa application fees.

For further advice, please contact

Please note

Whilst we try to ensure the accuracy of the information and advice given, the requirements relating to visas are complex and change frequently. You should therefore check the requirements which apply to you on the UKVI website. The International Hub at Liverpool Hope University cannot accept responsibility for any inaccuracy or error in its information or advice.