Liverpool Hope Logo
Find Your Course

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions about coming to Liverpool Hope University as a Study Abroad or Exchange student, check out our frequently asked questions below. If you have any further questions, please contact our International Hub and they will be happy to help: internationalhub@hope.ac.uk

Where is Liverpool Hope University?

Liverpool is in the North West of England, an hour from Manchester, just over a 2 hour train ride from London and a short boat ride away from Ireland. Liverpool Hope University has two campuses in Liverpool - Hope Park, which is three miles from the city centre, and the Creative Campus, which is within a brisk walk of the city centre. We also have our accommodation campus, Aigburth Park, and an outdoor centre at Plas Caerdeon in Wales.

Can I apply to Liverpool Hope even if there isn’t an existing agreement with my school?

Yes! All you need to do is work with your home university to make sure the courses that you take here at Liverpool Hope will transfer back. Just apply as above, and contact us if you have any questions or need any help.

Do I need a Visa?

It depends if you are coming to the UK from inside or outside of the EU. There are two types of student visas for the UK, depending how long you are studying here for - please go to our immigration and visas page for further information.

What are the entry requirements?

You should normally be a registered undergraduate student in a recognised University or College with good academic standing and have:

  • A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 ('B' average) or results of an equivalent standard (please provide your latest official transcript)
  • One academic letter of reference from your home institution - this must be from your Professor.

It is expected that you will normally be studying with us in your Junior or Senior year but students in other years will also be considered.

How many classes can I take?

You can take a variety of options: two 30 credit courses, one 30 and two 15 credit courses, or four 15 credit courses. The only rule is that you must have 60 credits - no more, no less!

When will I get my course choices confirmed/get my timetable?

We aim to have student timetables emailed out a month before classes start.

How and when will I get my results/transcripts?

After you have returned home, your results will be emailed to you following approval at an Academic Board - this is usually one month after your course has ended (slightly longer for Semester One students, due to the Christmas holiday break). After you have received your results, an official transcript will be sent to your home university.

When should I arrive/leave?

If you are studying at Liverpool Hope in the Fall Semester, you should arrive during Arrivals Weekend in September.

If you are studying at LHU in the Spring Semester, you will need to arrive one-two days before Orientation (specific dates will be emailed to you nearer the time).

Will I be met at the airport when I arrive?

Yes - we collect from Manchester International Airport on Arrival Day only. From July you can download an Airport Collection Request from our Arrival and Orientation page.

Does Liverpool Hope University organise an orientation programme?

Yes. We have an Orientation Programme which is available from July at the Arrival and Orientation page - this includes a local and city tour, a trip to Chester by train, a campus tour, Library induction, information workshops and academic support.

Should I bring my own towels, bedding, kitchen utensils etc?

A bedding pack is provided as part of your package. You must provide your own towels and anything you need for the kitchen, such as dishes, silverware and cooking utensils. These can be bought cheaply from local shops after you arrive.

Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter?

The UK electrical system is based on three pin 13 amp plugs which means you may need to bring an electrical adapter with you. Each study bedroom is fitted with a 220v – 240v electrical supply.

Is there internet access in the rooms?

Yes. There is free internet access available in all rooms and in all areas of the campuses.

Should I open a bank account in the UK?

If you are here for a full academic year, you can open a bank account in the UK in order for you to access your money without charges.

The banks will require your passport and a letter confirming that you are a student at Liverpool Hope University, which we can supply - just ask for a Status Letter.

When you have transferred your money and opened your account, there are normally no bank charges for student accounts, provided you comply with the bank's regulations. You should also check with your bank, some US banks have been known to waive ATM/International charges for account holders while overseas.

What expenses should I prepare for?

In the UK, the cost of living matches most other places in the EU. Some things are cheaper than in other places, particularly clothes, food and drinks, whereas others are likely to be more expensive, especially tourist accommodation, eating out and travel (by rail). For a breakdown of these prices, please visit the expenses section of our website for more information.

Can I work/volunteer whilst in the UK?

Only if you arrive on a Tier 4 Visa. Otherwise, it is illegal for you to work or volunteer during your stay in the UK.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes, you will need to take out Medical Insurance whilst at Liverpool Hope University. Study Abroad students here for a semester must register as a visiting student and will be charged for consultations. Students who join us for a full year will receive free medical services through the NHS, but will not be covered if they travel outside of the UK. Students here for one semester are eligible for free care for emergency treatment, psychiatric care and the family planning clinic under the NHS. You will also need to take out an insurance policy to cover your travel and possessions while you are in Britain.