Archives & Special Collections (A&SC) is a key resource in the scholarship activities of the University with an essential role in supporting the research and teaching activities of both Hope staff and students, and external researchers, in line with the University’s strategic and academic goals.
Some donated special collection material has been integrated into the main collection where it is felt they complement and enhance the existing collection and will be best exploited by users e.g. Liverpool Excellence Collection and Merseyside CND Collection. These collections are governed by the Library’s Collection Management Policy and managed by the Subject Librarians.
Catalogued collections are available to search on the library catalogue, OneSearch. To limit your search to a particular collection, e.g. Andrew F. Walls Centre, select the name of the collection from the drop-down menu under 'Location' using the advanced search tool. Go to Information and Guides for help navigating your way around OneSearch.
For those collections, that are not yet catalogued, there are finding aids in the form of printed catalogues and classification schemes available to download or to consult in the Reading Room. Unfortunately, due to limited staffing, we can only spend a short period of time on individual enquiries and are unable to offer a paid research service. If you would like to make an appointment please refer to Access the Collections for further information and for general enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Collection strengths include:
- Archbishop Stuart Blanch – sermons, lecture, broadcasts (archive)
- Christopher Wordsworth family collection
- Early bible translations and commentaries
- History of education
- History of mission and missionary activity
- History of religions
- John Henry Newman (printed works, pamphlets and archival papers on microfilm)
- Liturgy – during the Reformation
- Liverpool Hope University archive (Founding Colleges’ history; Liverpool Institute of Higher Education; Liverpool Hope University College)
- Medieval and Renaissance manuscripts
- Mission studies
- Mission theology
- Non-Western Christian art
- Nugent – Father Nugent and Father Bennett correspondence (archive)
- Philosophy of education
- Recusant history (particularly in the NW)
- Roman Catholic studies
- St. Thomas Aquinas (printed)
- Vatican II (printed and archive)
- Wesleyan Missionary Society