Education Leadership & Management(PG Cert)Duration: Up to 12 months (part-time)|Hope Park|Start month: October or January
About the Course
- Develop a critical understanding of theoretical approaches to leadership, relevant to educational practice.
- Enhance knowledge and critical understanding of applied leadership and management in an education context.
- Provide knowledge and critical understanding of key theories and concepts within the field of change management, and of the role of leadership in providing strategic direction and in leading change.
- Develop a critical understanding of those factors which influence individual and collective behaviour/s within organisations.
- Enable students to make informed decisions by creatively and systematically applying the knowledge and understanding of key concepts and best practice.
- Support students’ continuing personal and professional development so as to enable them to work as reflective practitioners with self-direction and originality, willing to take on a leadership role and contributing to the success of their own teams, organisations and their students.
Read this Education Leadership & Management case study to see how this course can help you in your career.
This Postgraduate Certificate (60 Level 7 Credits) comprises two x 30 credit modules:
Education Leadership & Management I: Perspectives on Leadership (30 Credits)
Recognising the challenges faced by those in leadership roles and the need to support the development of leadership competencies at all levels, this module explores leadership, with a specific focus on leadership within different education organisations. In particular, the module explores the nature of leadership and management through a number of different thematic ‘lenses’ and considers the role leaders play within improvement and change programmes.
Education Leadership & Management II: Working Effectively with Others (30 Credits)
This module takes as its focus the need for all those working within schools and other education institutions to develop positive and productive relationships with others. Leadership and management do not occur in a vacuum, and this module has been designed to develop both functional knowledge and critical understanding of a number of key perspectives on human behaviour within organisations and on the nature and processes of organising human activity. As such it is designed not only to encourage the development of solutions to specific leadership and management problems but also to provide participants with insights into the complex nature of organisations and of organisational life.
First Class or Upper Second Class Honours Degree in a relevant discipline (applications from students who do not hold a 1st or 2:1 Honours Degree (or equivalent), but have appropriate professional experience may be considered).
Due to the leadership specialism the expectation of the applicant will be that they have gained some leadership experience within an educational setting. Normally they will be engaged in a leadership role at the time of starting on the programme but aspirational leaders will also be considered if they have the support to engage with leadership practice within their setting.
International Entry Requirements
This course is not open to international students as it is only available on a part-time basis.
Teaching and Research
Both modules will be delivered on a part-time basis, through blended learning, including:
- Workplace learning and practical activities
- Face to face activity, including peer and facilitated
- Learning including seminars/taught sessions.
- Reading and reflection.
- Academic tutorial support.
- Critical debate with supporters and peers e.g. in seminars or through VLE discussion groups.
UK/EU Tuition Fees
Modules 1 &2 – Full Postgraduate Certificate (60 Masters Credits)
Full rate: £1,733
Graduate 600*: £1,532
Partner school rate*: £1,386
* Graduate 600 - Reduced Fee for students who have obtained a 2.1 or 1st class degree within the last 3 years.
** A Partner School is any school that has an Initial Teacher Education (ITE) partnership arrangement with Liverpool Hope University and who work with our students on providing school placements.
We offer a number of scholarships and loans to help fund your postgraduate studies. Visit our scholarships pages for more details.
This is a professional learning course designed specifically to provide up-to-date knowledge support for professionals working within education leadership & management. The 60 Masters-level credits can also be used towards a Masters in Education.