Dr Anthony Ridge-Newman
SENIOR LECTURER IN MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION
0151 291 3836
Dr Anthony Ridge-Newman
PhD (Lond) MSc (Surrey) BSc (First Class) PgDip FHEA
Senior Lecturer, School of Humanities, Liverpool Hope University
I am a senior lecturer in Media and Communication within the School of Humanities at Liverpool Hope University. My research and teaching in the field of political communication has been previously based at the universities of Glasgow, London, Roehampton and Oxford. I currently teach Media, Democracy and Society, Research Methods, Crossplatform Media, and Advanced Studies in Digital Media. I also lead the Master of Humanities, a fourth year option. In 2020, I was a finalist nominee for the Hope Star Excellence Award for Inclusivity in Education. I was also nominated by students for the Inspirational Tutor award."
I have published three books: 'Reporting the Road to Brexit' (2018); 'Tories and Television, 1951-1964' (2016); and 'Cameron's Conservatives and the Internet' (2014). I have a range of other peer reviewed publications, including articles with leading academic journals, like Media, Culture and Society (Sage). One of my current projects is as an editor of a book that aims to assess the future of journalism. It is in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Vaasa and Abo Akademi's Experience Lab, Finland, and is funded as part of a large Helsingin Sanomat Foundation grant.
I have worked extensively in the public sphere, including as a journalist and news editor, and in public relations. For three years I was head of communications for a private business. I am fortunate to have opportunities to invest this in my research and teaching, especially in my advice to students about employment in media, politics, communication and business.
I appear in global media fairly regularly. I've been featured in national and international broadcasts and the press with the likes of the BBC, Al Jazeera, Associated Press, TRT World News, Sydney Morning Herald, New Scientist and Newsweek. I have an international research profile that extends to being a guest academic speaker at Oxford, Melbourne and Australian National universities; and at other events with political parties, the Cambridge Society and the Churchill Club.
My wider work for the university has led me to speak at international events, sharing platforms with world leaders from political and faith-based contexts.
EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH INTERESTS
Media and politics; political communication; conservatism and liberalism; British Conservative Party; Brexit; international media; digital politics; digital communication; British politics; political and media history; political organisation; qualitative and quantitative social research methods (content analysis, discourse analysis, interviews, ethnography, and focus groups).
- 'Digital Media as a driver of change in political organisation: 2010 and 2015 UK General Elections' (Media, Culture and Society, 2020)
- 'Reporting the Road to Brexit: International Media and the EU Referendum 2016' (Palgrave Macmillan, co-edited, 2018)
- 'Tories and Television, 1951-64: Broadcasting an Elite' (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016)
- 'Cameron's Conservatives and the Internet: Change, Culture and Cyber Toryism' (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014)
- 'Strong and Stable' to 'Weak and Wobbly': The Conservative Election Campaign. In: Wring D, Mortimore R and Atkinson S (eds) Political Communication in Britain: Campaigning, Media and Polling in the 2017 General Election. (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018)
- 'Elections and the Internet'. In: Warf B (ed.) The SAGE Encyclopedia of the Internet. (2018)
- 'Digital Political Marketing' in Lilleker and Pack, Political Marketing and the 2015 UK General Election (Palgrave Macmillan, co-authored, 2016)
- UK General Election Analysis 2019 (report, contributor, 2019)
- UK General Election Analysis 2017 (report, contributor, 2017)
- EU Referendum Analysis 2016 (report, contributor, 2016)
- UK General Election Analysis 2015 (report, contributor, 2015)
- Books: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthony-Ridge-Newman/e/B00OFWPYPU
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ridgenewman
- International Broadcast: https://www.trtworld.com/video/news-videos/roundtable-is-britains-tory-party-fit-to-govern/5a40bd1e41736a1f528ade2c
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/anthonyridgenewman/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ridgenewmanbooks
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ridgenewman
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVpcqJi_UWAV0UmrfkToPmQ
- ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0752-4416
- Project page: https://www.univaasa.fi/en/research/projects/mediamaiseman_levottomuus/
- LHU: https://www.hope.ac.uk/staffindex/staffindeximport/dr-anthony-ridge-newman.html