The Department regularly organises academic conferences, lectures and seminars.
- April 2019 - Radical Social Work in Tumultuous Times: Fighting for equality and social justice - Social Work Action Network (SWAN) Conference 2019
- July 2018 - Desmond Tutu Centre – ‘Identity and Memory in War and Peacebuilding’ – Co-organised by Dr Aline Gaus.
- Wednesday 5th September 2018 – ‘The Legacy of Fanon: Contemporary Challenges to Racism and Oppression.’– Lead by Dr Alistair Jewell.
- July 2017 – ‘Children and Coercive Control: Harms, Resistance and Recovery’ – Lead by Dr Emma Katz.
- June 2015 – ‘PsychoPolitics in the Twenty First Century: Peter Sedgwick and radical movements in mental health’ – Lead by Dr Rich Moth.