Find Your Course
Liverpool Hope Logo

Government Maintenance Loans and Grants 2018/19

Student Loans

In addition to a fee loan, UK (home) students are entitled to a maintenance loan to help pay for living expenses such as accommodation, food, study and travel costs. This loan is means tested. The money for both loans comes from the government via the Student Loans Company, and does not have to be repaid until you have graduated, and are earning over £25,000 per year 

From 2018/19 the process for recovering overpayments will change. Any overpayments will be recovered from the following years funding automatically assuming the student has a subsequent year of funding to recover the monies from. So for example if a 1st year student receives an overpayment then this will be recovered from year 2. This will apply to all grants and loans. The students will still get a letter to say they have been overpaid and can repay immediately if they wish to do so.

The amount you are eligible to receive is assessed by Student Finance England.

Residents of ScotlandStudent Finance Wales and Northern Ireland should refer to the relevant web site.

The Student Loans Company will usually pay your loan into your bank account by BACS. You must have registered at the University and be in attendance for the payments to be made.

Below are some examples of how much you can expect to receive based on residual household income if you are living away from home.

Maintenance Loan for Students who do not qualify for benefits

Income Maintenance Loan
<£25,000 £8,700
£30,000 £8,076
£45,000 £6,204
£60,000 £4,331


Maintenance Loan for Students who qualify for benefits

Income Maintenance Loan
<£25,000 £9,916
£30,000 £8,952
£45,000 £6,204
£60,000 £4,332