Liverpool Hope Logo
Find Your Course
Section Menu

While you are here

Protecting your Tier 4 student status

As a student with a Tier 4 (General) Student visa you will be required to comply with the following:

  • comply with the conditions of your visa i.e. work regulations etc.
  • attend the document checking session and any other contact point meetings with the Compliance Officer (details will be emailed to you)
  • attend your timetabled teaching periods, including any supervision sessions or meetings which have been arranged
  • explain any absences or unsatisfactory work
  • provide the University with specific information if requested
  • report to UKVI if your circumstances change e.g. change of address
  • comply with any requests from UKVI e.g. meeting immigration officers when they are on an inspection visit to the university
  • ensure you have the correct finances available and pay your tuition fees in accordance with your agreement
  • keep up to date with changes to immigration rules
  • register via the online system when asked to do so
  • ensure your contact details are kept up to date
  • leave the UK if you are required to or if you interrupt or withdraw from your studies

As Tier 4 sponsors Liverpool Hope University are required by the UKVI to:

  • monitor your attendance at research supervision sessions, tutorials, classes
  • monitor your progress
  • inform them if you withdraw, interrupt or defer your studies
  • inform them if you miss 10 expected contacts without permission
  • inform them if we withdraw our sponsorship
  • inform them of your work placement details (if applicable)
  • inform them of changes to your course title and length
  • inform them if you fail to enrol at the start of your course

We are required to

  • keep copies of your passport, visa and biometrics document
  • keep an up to date record of your current address in the UK
  • keep copies of your ATAS and Police Registration certificate (if applicable)

Working while in the UK

If you are an international student with Tier 4 General Student visa, you are allowed to work part-time up to 20 hours a week during term-time, and full-time during vacation periods provided your passport stamp indicates a restriction rather than prohibition. It is important that you comply with the Universities term dates when working.

If you are planning to work during your studies, you will need a National Insurance Number.

Attendance, monitoring and submitting coursework on time

As part of our responsibilities as your Sponsor we are required by the UKVI monitor your attendance, submission of work and progression. If you miss ten consecutive points of contact we are required to report you to the UKVI and withdraw sponsorship. If your sponsorship is withdrawn, the UKVI will curtail your leave. This means that your student visa is cancelled, and you should leave the UK or find an alternative sponsor or immigration route.

Therefore, if you know you will miss a required attendance or a submission deadline, for example because you are ill, contact your department straightaway to inform them and ask them what evidence they will need to support this.

If you need to take an extended period of time away from your course for illness, you may need to take a short break from your studies. Speak to your FSAA and make an appointment to speak to the Compliance Office in Student Administration about this.

If you plan to take a break from your studies for pregnancy, speak to your FSAA and the Compliance Officer as early as possible. If we cannot not treat the break as an "authorised absence" you will need to arrange to leave the UK during the break in studies, and you will need to plan for this.

If there is any other reason you cannot attend your course, (for example, a family bereavement), ask your tutor or department to approve your absence. The International Hub can provide a letter authorising you to travel home.

As part of the monitoring process you will be required to attend one session a year where you will need to bring with you a document showing your current address in the UK. This can be in the form of a bank statement or utility bill, but must be an original document. Details about these sessions will be sent to you during the academic year.

Register with the police

It will state on you BRP card if you are required to register with the Police. You can find a full list of the countries on the Police Registration list in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules. You are required to register within 7 days of arriving in the UK. Please see the Merseyside Police website for more information about how to register and what you need to take with you to your registration appointment.

Lost BRP

If you lose your BRP you need to report this to the UKVI as soon as possible so that they can cancel it; this is a legal requirement. When you have reported it is as stolen, you need to apply for a replacement within 3 months. The cost of a replacement BRP card is £56.

If you are outside the UK when you lose your BRP card you will need to apply for a single entry visa to re-enter the UK, known as a ‘replacement BRP visa’. You apply for this online and the cost is £154.

Please let us know when you receive your replacement BRP card as we will need to take a copy for our records.

Student status letter

Student status letters are available from the Gateway Reception Service Desk. This letter will give information on your course, start date and expected end date.

If you need this letter for opening a bank account you will need to provide the name and address of the bank where you are opening your account.

Travelling abroad during term

If you need to travel abroad during term time, normally in an emergency only, you will need a letter from the International Unit giving you permission to travel. This letter should be taken with you when you travel to ensure that you can enter back into the UK.

You will find a Travel Letter Request Form on Moodle under 'International Student'. Please download and complete this form and take it to one of your Senior Academic Advisors (FSAA) or tutors to obtain their permission and signature. When the form is complete, please return to the International Hub.

When the letter is available, you will receive either a telephone call or email to collect your letter from the International Unit Reception Desk. This process normally takes 2-3 working days.

Inviting a Visitor

If you wish to invite friends or family members for short visits to attend a family celebration, celebrate a religious festival, for a holiday, or to attend your graduation ceremony. They will need the following documents to assist with their application to come to the UK:

  • Letter of invitation from yourself (student) explaining your relationship with the visitor and the purpose of the visit
  • A Student Status letter available from the Gateway Reception Desk
  • A photocopy of your passport pages containing your personal details, your visa (if applicable) and the most recent UK entry stamp. This is the only photocopied document that you can send.
  • Confirmation of their accommodation in the UK, and any financial support they will receive.

For full details on how to invite a visitor to come to the UK please visit the UKVI website

Interrupting or withdrawing from your studies

If you are considering interrupting your studies or withdrawing from your course, there will be implications for your visa status. As well as speaking to an FSAA, you will need to speak to the Compliance Officer to discuss your specific situation and possible consequences. Please contact for more information.