Liverpool Hope Logo Liverpool Hope Logo
Liverpool Hope Logo

Associate Professor Trish Ferguson

0151 291 3512 .

In my role as lecturer in English Literature, I am currently teaching first-year seminars on poetry, prose and drama, second-year lectures and seminars on nineteenth-century literature (including works such as Frankenstein, The Jungle Book and Dracula) and a Major Authors tutorial strand on selected works of fiction and poetry by Thomas Hardy (including Tess of the d'Urbervilles and selected "Emma poems"). I also teach lectures and seminars and lead a Writing Workshop tutorial strand on the first-year curriculum. In this tutorial strand I support students in the development of key skills in academic writing, such as essay structure, engaging with scholarly research in an essay, and referencing. 

The primary focus of my research is on Victorian literature and culture. I have published a monograph entitled Thomas Hardy's Legal Fictions (Edinburgh University Press, 2013) and an edited collection of essays entitled Victorian Time: Technologies, Standardizations, Catastrophes (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013) and I am co-editor of a collection of essays on neglected Victorian writers, Victorian Fiction beyond the Canon (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016). I completed a monograph on Maud Gonne (UCD Press, 2019) and published a companion volume to Victorian Time, entitled Literature and Modern Time: Technological Modernity, Glimpses of Eternity, Experiments with Time (Palgrave Macmillan, 2020). I am currently editing a new edition of Arthur Conan Doyle's His Last Bow for Oxford University Press. 

I am a member of the editorial panels for Romance Revolution and Reform, the Thomas Hardy Journal and the Hardy Society Journal.


Trish Ferguson, Literature and Modern Time: Technological Modernity, Glimpses of Eternity, Experiments with Time (Palgrave Macmillan, 2020). 

This volume of essays covers a great deal of ground. It also does so masterfully. Its coverage, from the end of the 19th century to the 1930s, proves crucial to revealing the many factors that go into the making of a chronotope, not only within a work of literature but also within an era. As a result, the volume contains much of interest to anyone invested in the study of time. (Stephanie Nelson, KronoScope, Issue 22, 2022)

Trish Ferguson, Maud Gonne (UCD Press, 2019). 

- Sonja Tiernan. 'A contemporary assessment of Maud Gonne's life and work is long due. Trish Ferguson provides a vital contribution to our knowledge of this revolutionary and captivating character in the wake of many centenary celebrations which overlooked her role in the fight for Irish independence.'

Daragh Downes and Trish Ferguson, Ed. Victorian Fiction beyond the Canon (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016)

- John Sutherland, 'Afterword from the Hinterland', 2016: 'a work of major interest and guidance.' 

- Grace Moore, Victorian Studies, 2019: 'As Downes and Ferguson point out in their introduction, at a generous estimate there are perhaps two hundred Victorian novels that today form our sense of canonical works, but that figure amazingly represents only 0.5 percent of the works published. [...] The essays in Victorian Fiction Beyond the Canon are consistently absorbing and, collectively, they make a strong and urgent case for the need to study the work of the other 99.5 percent.'

Trish Ferguson, Thomas Hardy's Legal Fictions. (Edinburgh University Press, 2013).

- Kieran Dolin, Victorian Studies, 2016: 'a consistently engaging book, and one that will repay reading as a whole.'

- William A. Davis, Hardy Review, 2015: 'an important book that shows us the early Hardy as other treatments of Hardy and the law have not.'

- Roger Ebbatson, Victoriographies, 2014: 'in the overcrowded field of Hardy studies, it is good to welcome a book which sheds a genuinely new light on both the man and the work, and one which suggests fertile areas for further study.'

- Phillip Mallett, Thomas Hardy Journal, 2014: 'Thomas Hardy's Legal Fictions is a timely and valuable contribution to the field of law and literature studies, and to Hardy studies in particular.' 

- Richard Sylvia, Review 19, 2014: 'Ferguson offers many fine readings of [Hardy's] fiction while enlarging the cultural context that a reader might bring to the study of it.' 

Trish Ferguson, Ed. Victorian Time: Technologies, Standardizations, Catastrophes (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013).

- Barbara Barrow, Victorian Periodicals Review, 2013: 'Ambitious in scope and precise in detail, this collection is a valuable contribution to scholarship on Victorian time in all of its multiplicity and complication.'

- Sarah Bower, Historical Novel Review, 2013: 'Fascinating and thought-provoking.'