Professor Bernard Longden
EMERITUS PROFESSOR IN EDUCATION
Deputy Vice Chancellor's Office
0151 291 3201
- European Association for Institutional Research; Centre of Higher Education Research (Oslo);
- Society for Research in Higher Education conferences, UK.
- Association for Institutional Research, Kansas (USA).
- Longden, B. (2020). Institutional Research: Unintended consequences in Higher Education. In M. Crowder & M. Antoniadou, Modern day challenges in academia (1st., pp. 265â€“284). Edward Elgar.
- BÃ©langer, C., Longden, B., Orozco Quijano, E. P., & Razmak, J. (2019). How Mexican students perceive their classroom experience from their professors. Tertiary Education and Management, 25(2), 161â€“180. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11233-019-09019-y
- Longden, B. (2016a). UK universities as a single entity: Striking a balance between public and private needs. In P. John & J. Fanghanel (Eds.), Dimensions of Marketisation in Higher Education. Routledge.
- Longden, B. (2016b). From Newman to MOOCs: The decline of exceptionalism (M. Oâ€™Carroll, Ed.).
- Longden, B, & BÃ©langer, C. H. (2013). Universities: Public good or Private profit. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 35(5), 22.
- Longden, B. (2012). â€˜Bearing downâ€™ on student non-completion: Implications and consequences for English higher education. Journal of College Student Retention: Research, Theory & Practice, 14(1), 117â€“147.
- Longden, B. (2011). Ranking Indicators and Weights. In J. C. Shin, R. Toutkoushian, & S. Marginson (Eds.), Ranking, Reputation and Quality of Higher Education (p. 215). Springer.
- BÃ©langer, C. H., & Longden, B. (2009). The Effective Teacherâ€™s Characteristics as perceived by Students. Tertiary Education and Management, 15(4), 323â€“340.
- Longden, B. (2009). Is a gap between expectation and experience for the first-year student acceptable, reasonable and inevitable? (S. Kennedy, & C. Blaney Doyle, Eds.).
- Longden, B, & Yorke, M. (2009a). Institutional Rankings, Markets and the needs of intending students. In B. M. Kehm & B. Stensaker (Eds.), University Rankings, Diversity, and the New Landscape of Higher Education (pp. 47â€“64). Sense Publications.
- Longden, B, & Yorke, M. (2009b). Institutional Research: What problems are we trying to solve? Perspectives, 13(3), 66â€“70.
- Yorke, M., & Longden, B. (2008). The first-year experience of higher education in the UK - Final report (p. 68). Higher Education Academy.
- Yorke, Mantz, & Longden, B. (2008). The first-year experience of higher education in the UK - Final report (p. 68). Higher Education Academy.
- Yorke, Mantz, & Longden, B. (2007). The first-year experience of higher education in the UK: Report of Phase 1 of a project funded by the Higher Education Academy.
- Yorke, Mantz, & Longden, B. (2005). Significant Figures: Performance Indicators and â€˜League Tablesâ€™. Standing Conference of Principals.
- Yorke, M., & Longden, B. (2004). Retention and Student Success in Higher Education. Society for Research into Higher Education and Open University Press.
- Yorke, M., Bell, R., Dove, A., Haslam, E., Hughes-University of Sheffield Jones, H., Longden, B., Oâ€™ Connell, C., Typuszak, R., & Ward, J. (1997). Undergraduate non-completion in Higher Education in England (Commissioned Report for the Higher Education Funding Council for England. December 1997). Higher Education Funding Council for England.
- Longden, B. (2008). Performance Indicators. In G. McCulloch & D. Crook (Eds.), The Routledge International Encyclopaedia of Education (p. 760).
- Longden, B. (2007). Affordability of English higher education: The uneasy tension between quality and quantity. In B. Longden & K. Harris (Eds.), Funding Higher Education: A Question of who pays? (pp. 79â€“101). EAIR.
- Longden, B. (2006). An Institutional response to changing student expectations and their impact on retention rates. Journal of Higher Education Policy & Management, 28(2), 172â€“187.
- Longden, B. (2005). Methodology and Methods. In J. Wellington, A.-M. Bathmaker, Hunt. Cheryl, G. McCulloch, & P. Sikes (Eds.), Succeeding with your doctorate. Sage Publications Ltd.
- Longden, B. (2004a). Interpreting student early departure from higher education through the lens of cultural capital. Tertiary Education and Management, 10(2), 121â€“138.
- Longden, B. (2004b, March 31). Student early departure: What does research tell us about the puzzle? Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Special Interest Forum.
- Longden, B. (2004c, September 28). Bourdieuâ€™s cultural capital: A contribution to the debate on access and retention in higher education. OxCHEPS Symposium.
- Longden, B. (2004d, December 19). Student Retention and Success: From a macro to a micro analysis. Learning & Teaching Conference.
- Longden, B. (2003a). Access and retention in English higher education: A parliamentary perspective. In Mantz Yorke & B. Longden (Eds.), Retention and Student Success in higher education. Open University Press/Society for Research in Higher Education.
- Longden, B. (2003b). Widening Participation in higher education. In R. J. Elford (Ed.), The Foundation of Hopeâ€”Turning Dreams into Reality (pp. 50â€“63). Liverpool University Press.
- Longden, B. (2002a). Retention ratesâ€”Renewed interest but whose interest is being served? Research Papers in Education, 17(1), 3â€“30.