Dr Alice Bennett
0151 291 3319
- Alarm. Forthcoming from Bloomsbury's Object Lessons series.
- Contemporary Fictions of Attention: Reading and Distraction in the Twenty-First Century. Bloomsbury, 2018.
- Afterlife and Narrative in Contemporary Fiction. Palgrave, 2012.
Refereed Journal Articles
- '"People with equal but opposite afflictions, propping each other up": Sleep Solidarity and Fictions of Mass Sleeplessness' (forthcoming in MFS).
- '"This Ridiculous Thing that Passes for a Passport": Seeking Asylum in Ali Smith's Fiction". Contemporary Women's Writing 12.3, 2018: 322-337.
- 'Cold Reading A. L. Kennedy's The Blue Book'. Critique: Studies in Contemporary Fiction 56.2, 2015: 173-189.
- 'Anticipated Returns: Purgatory, Exchange and Narrative After Life'. The Oxford Literary Review 31.1, 2009: 33-48.
- 'Unquiet Spirits: Death Writing in Contemporary Fiction'. Textual Practice 23.3, 2009: 461-479.
- 'Wallace and Attention'. David Foster Wallace in Context. Ed. Clare Hayes-Brady. Routledge, 2021. (in press)
- '"'Tuning into my 'awareness continuum'": Optimized Attention in The Yips'. Nicola Barker. Ed. Berthold Schoene. Gylphi, 2020.
- 'Literature and Afterlife'. The Routledge Companion to Death and Literature. Eds. Daniel Jernigan, Neil Murphy and Michelle Wang. Routledge, 2020.
- 'Afterlife'. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature: Literary Theory. Ed. John Frow et al. OUP, 2019.
- 'Remaindered Books: Glen Duncan's Twenty-First Century Novels'. What Happens Now: 21st-Century Writing. Eds. Sian Adiseshiah and Rupert Hildyard. Palgrave, 2013.
Special Editions of Journals
- Co-editor, with Peter Sloane. The Short Things. Special Issue of The Journal of David Foster Wallace Studies 1.2, 2019.
- Co-editor, with Naomi Banks. Afterlives. Special issue of Kaleidoscope 4.1, 2010.
- Origin Stories: Migration. Being Human Festival of the Humanities, Museum of Liverpool (17 November 2018)
- Not Sleeping: A One-Night Symposium on Wakefulness, Liverpool Hope University (8 September 2017). Funded by the Wellcome Trust.