CHURCH SCHOOL GOVERNANCE TRAINING PROGRAMME – ONLINE(non-credit bearing)Duration: 6 months (part-time)||Start month: January
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Hope Church School Governance Online Training Programme (CSGTP) is aimed at Governors and Trustees (Directors) in both church schools and schools with a distinctively Christian ethos, providing support for Governors and Trustees (Directors) committed to improving provision and outcomes for children and young people. The programme has been developed by experts and professionals with a background in church school leadership, governance and inspection.
Why do this course?
- Raise your awareness of the changing expectations of Governing Boards and meeting today’s challenges in the education sector, whilst holding on to the mission and vision of a church school
- Engage professionally with others in a collaborative and interactive module.
- Study online in your own time, whilst benefitting from access to personal tutors and group reflections.
- Key themes include the changing context, mission, vision and values, collaborative learning, decision-making and accountability.
- Access support with using the online Virtual Learning Environment and Zoom, developing skills which extend to everyday life.
How to apply?
To apply, please fill in our PLD Registration Form CSGTP Online
This online module has been specifically designed as a 12-hour programme that is split into six distinct topics. These include:
1.Church Schools: Changing Times
- Terminology used when talking about Church schools
- Historical background to Church schools in England
- Key Educational legislation that laid down the education system in England since 1870
- Basics of governance in changing times
2. A Theology of Education
- Christian denominations
- The specific role which governors undertake in Christian schools
- Reflections on the Christian mission, and the implications which this has for our role in education
- Reflections on the vision and values which underpin a Christian anthropology, and our particular educational philosophy
- The implications for educational practice in terms of community, wisdom education and educating for hope and aspiration
3. Who are you and who are you called to be?
- Personal beliefs and values in relation to governance in church schools
- Consideration of vocation
- Vocation in practice
4. Collaborative Governance
- Ways in which governors can work together to promote ‘the common good’
- Underlying key concepts that contribute to individual and group flourishing in the governance context
5. Wisdom and Discernment
- The importance of developing a Christian understanding of wisdom and discernment to inform individual’s contributions to good church school governance
- Practical ways of applying this to specific areas of governance.
6. Decision-Making and Accountability
- The importance of developing a Christian understanding of accountability in church school governance
- Key levers of Ofsted and Sect. 48 Inspections, head-teacher performance management and finance
- Practical ways of applying to specific areas of decision-making.
There are no entry requirement for the course, which is primarily designed for experienced, new and aspiring governors and trustees (directors) working within church schools. Governors of faith working within non-church schools may find the programme personally enriching.
International Entry Requirements
For students whose first language is not English there is a language requirement of IELTS 6.5 overall with 6.0 minimum of all components. In addition to this, we also accept a wide range of International Qualifications, for more information please visit our English Language Requirements page.
For additional information about country specific entry requirements visit the your country pages.
Teaching and Research
The course is delivered via 6 online topics, each taken over a 3 week period. Each topic contains reading materials, videos, workbooks and interactive discussion forums as well as opportunities for Zoom meetings for the whole cohort with tutors.
Support with the use of Zoom plus accessing and navigating the online Virtual Learning Environment is available.
It is expected that you will undertake a minimum of 2 hours per module to complete the course.
You will also submit a 500 word Reflective Journal to receive your Certificate of Completion.
UK/EU TUITION FEES
Full Fee: £350
Early Bird Discount* - £299
*Applications must be received by 1st October 2021 to be eligible for the Early Bird Discount.
This programme is designed to aid church school governors in their roles within church schools.