Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE)
Liverpool Hope University work in partnership with VIDLEARN® to deliver Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) courses. On one of our courses you will be tutored by professionals in Education at Liverpool Hope University to ensure that you are fully prepared for your ITT year or to teach a new subject if you are already qualified.
Self-funded SKEs are available to trainees who are not eligible for DfE funding but are following School Direct, SCITT, PGCE or Teach First training routes. They are also available to in-service teachers who would like to train to teach a new subject, qualified teachers returning to school who would like to boost their confidence and any candidates wishing to boost their application for teacher training.
All SKEs are delivered via an online distance learning platform, and can be delivered up to GCSE or A Level standard. Courses available include:
• Secondary Chemistry (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 week SKE)
• Secondary Physics (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 week SKE)
• Secondary Biology (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 week SKE)
• Secondary Mathematics (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 week SKE)
• Secondary Computer Science (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 week SKE)
• Secondary French (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 week SKE)
• Secondary Spanish (8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 week SKE)
• Secondary English (8, 12, 16 week SKE)
• Secondary Religious Education (8 week SKE)
• Primary Mathematics (8 week SKE).
Dates and duration
A flexible entry system allows students to start their SKE at most points of the year, a start date will be agreed on application. A maximum duration of 12 months is permitted, although students can complete earlier, as the number of study hours for the course can be completed at the student’s own pace:
• 8 week SKE (Accelerated GCSE) = 200 hours
• 12 week SKE (Enhanced GCSE) = 300 hours
• 16 week SKE (Accelerated A Level) = 400 hours
• 20 week SKE (Enhanced A Level) = 500 hours
• 24 week SKE (Accelerated GCSE & A Level) = 600 hours
• 28 week SKE (Enhanced GCSE & A Level) = 700 hours
Complete the recommended number of hours of study plus the assessments. The duration can be 12 months, however, you may find that you complete the course in less time.
SKEs are non-accredited courses but you will be awarded a certificate of completion upon successful completion of the course.
Until September 2023, we are able to offer a 25% discount on the full fee, as below. This is the same fee across all subjects.
|Duration of SKE||Full Fee||Fee with 25% Discount|
The PLD Team
T: 0151 291 3093/3029/3834/3061