Here at Hope we recognise that you're a unique individual and we pride ourselves on being able to offer our students personalised, impartial, expert advice.
The Careers & Employability team are here to help students and graduates to explore, plan and succeed with their career goals. From the moment you arrive at Hope until well after you graduate, our Careers & Employability team are here for you.
We're based in the Employability Hub in the Gateway Building (just to the left of the main reception). We have drop in sessions all week, you can see what's on here. If you can't make a specific drop in because of timetable issues just pop in when you can, we'll still be able to help.
Seeing one of the team
There are a number of different options if you want to speak to one of the team :
- Book a 45 minute appointment, at the moment these are operating via video and phone calls. When it's safe to do so we'll offer one-to-one appointments as well
- Come to Careers Express - currently available as a 20 minute bookable appointment. When it's safe to do so this will be a drop in service as well
- Email - you can drop us an email at email@example.com anytime and we'll get back to you as soon as we can
What we can help with
Covering both Careers and Employability means we deal with a range of topics:
- Choosing a career
- How to get into a particular role or sector
- Help with further study (choosing the right course, personal statements)
- PGCE applications
- Placement Years
- Getting a placement or work experience
- CVs, interviews and application forms for jobs
- Finding part time work while you study
- Changing career paths
- Hope Works (right to work checks and general queries)
- Volunteering, DofE and SALA
We run a wide range of events during the academic year including careers fairs, skill workshops, information sessions, employer visits, practical sessions and more. Currently all of our events are being run online, we'll be running events on campus next academic year if it's safe and practical to do so. If not, we'll be providing all our usual activity in an online format. Planning for this is currently underway so follow our social media accounts to get the latest news and updates.
You'll also see the team in some of your lectures. We do an introduction to the Careers & Employability Service for all first year students to give you a full overview of how we can help you during your time at university.
We also come in to deliver subject specific careers sessions to help you decide what to do with your degree when you graduate. We try to make you aware of careers you may not have considered and can support you to pursue alternatives if you're interested. This could include looking for experience in a particular sector, finding further study options and applying for graduate schemes.