Travel, both business and commuting, forms a significant proportion of the University’s carbon footprint. The University encourages staff and students to use more sustainable forms of transport, such as public transport, car share, cycling or walking, rather than single occupancy car journeys.
There is no single solution to all of the University’s travel needs; the University is committed to promoting sustainable travel options to enable staff and students to make informed decisions about which travel mode to use. We are continually improving provisions for cyclists, walkers and public transport users.
What can I do?
- Where possible, walk, cycle or use public transport - choosing a more sustainable form of transport can reduce our carbon emissions, help you get more active and save you money!
- Use teleconferencing facilities, Skype or video conferencing facilities as an alternative to travelling to meetings.
- Drive Smarter – following these tips from the Energy Saving Trust could improve your mpg by up to 15%
- Use the University's regular free shuttle bus to travel to the Creative Campus and Aigburth Park.
- Download Merseytravel’s free journey planner app. The app provides a range of timetables and map information for all public transport operators across Merseyside, as well as door to door journey plans for trains, buses, ferry services and scheduled departures from a specific location.
- Staff can purchase a cycle through salary sacrifice, to commute to work, through the University's Cycle to Work Scheme - please contact Suzanne Moody on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Staff can also take advantage of discounts at various local cycle shops on production of your staff identification and quoting the Merseytravel discount scheme. The discounts may include cycles, accessories and clothing. Download the Cycle Discount Scheme information.
- Keep up to date with updates from Merseytravel and Liverpool City Council
- Using a single travel management company – Selective Travel Management to book all air and rail travel and accommodation – reducing the travel risk for our staff and students
- Cyclescheme offers staff the opportunity to purchase a cycle through salary sacrifice.
- Working with Merseytravel to research and inform their transport provision to students
- A dedicated student webpage has been launched for all your travel needs
- The University surveys staff and student every two years to inform the initiatives and measures we put in place to allow staff and students to make informed choices about the mode of transport that they use and to promote sustainable travel options
Did you know?
- 10,000 steps equals about five miles, most of us walk 4,500 a day
- 54% of staff and 60% of students live within five miles of the University; ideal for thinking about more sustainable forms of transport
- If everyone lift-shared one day a week, traffic on the roads would be reduced by 20% and there would be less congestion on the roads