Liverpool Hope Logo
Find Your Course

Immigration and visa requirements

If you are coming to study at the University from overseas, you may need a visa before you travel.

These pages aim to give you all the information you need to make the application process as simple as possible, but if you need any further advice you can contact our International Student Compliance team by emailing: studentimmigration@hope.ac.uk.

What type of visa do I need?

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals living in the UK before 31 December 2020

The UK left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020 and the transition period ends on 31 December 2020. If you arrive in UK before 11 pm on 31 December 2020, you can apply for permission to live, study and work in UK under the EU Settlement Scheme.

You have until 30 June 2021 to apply, but it is recommended that you apply as soon as you can after arriving in the UK. You will need to retain evidence of the date that you arrive in the UK to support your application, and you can find more information about the Settlement Scheme on the UKCISA website and in the Home Office guidance.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals planning to arrive in UK after 31 December 2020

If you are arriving in the UK to study after 31 December 2020, you will need to apply for permission under the Student route and the UK government have produced an introduction to this route for EU students.

Please note, if you are an Irish citizen your position will remain unchanged, and your right to live and study in the UK will not be affected by Brexit.

Study for up to six months - Standard Visitor visa

If you are coming to the UK to study for up to six months, you can do this on a Standard Visitor visa. 

You can find more information in our Standard Visitor visa guidance.

Study for more than six months - Student route visa

If you are coming to the UK to study for more than 6 months on a Study Abroad or Exchange Programme, or on a Bachelors, Masters or Research degree, you will need to apply for permission under the Student route, and will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from the University in order to submit your application. 

Please remember that it is your responsibility to apply for and receive your visa in time to start your course. You can make an application for entry clearance up to 6 months before the start date on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies.

The University recommends that you apply for your visa at least three months before the start of your course; visa application centres are extremely busy in July and August, and in December and January, so it is important to give yourself plenty of time. 

You can find more information in our Student route visa guidance.

Standard Visitor visa

If you are going to be studying at Liverpool Hope University for up to six months, you will need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

If you are a non-visa national you can apply for this on arrival in the UK, if you are a visa national you will need to apply in advance from your home country. 

You can see the UKVI's visa national list here.

You can find more information on our Standard Visitor visa page

Student route visa

If you are going to be studying at Liverpool Hope University for more than six months, you will need a Student route visa that needs to be applied for in advance. 

In order to make a Student route visa application, you will need a CAS number form the University, and so will need to submit a CAS request when you have accepted your offer, and have met our academic and English Langauge requirements. 

CAS requests are considered by a Compliance Review Panel, and if your CAS request is approved there are a number of things you need to do before we can go ahead.

Visit your CAS number page for full details.

Your Student route visa application

We know the application process may seem a little daunting. Visit our applying for a Student route visa page for full details on the application process.

While you are here

There are several UKVI requirements that you need to comply with, both before you arrive, and whilst you are here in the UK.  Full details can be found on our while you are here page.