Liverpool Hope Logo Liverpool Hope Logo
Liverpool Hope Logo

Standard Visitor visa

If you are coming to the UK to study at Liverpool Hope and will be here for less than six months, you can do this on a Standard Visitor visa.

How do I apply?

How you apply will depend on whether you are a visa national. Visa nationals are required to apply for permission to visit the UK prior to travel. A full list of visa nationals can be found on the UKVI website.

If you are a visa national, you will need to be in receipt of a Standard Visitor visa before travelling to the UK. Applications are made online, can be made up to 3 months before you travel, and a 6-month visa costs £100. Please see our Visa national short-term study visa checklist for details of the documents that you are required to submit with your application.

If you are a non-visa national, you are not required to apply for a visa prior to visiting the UK and can apply for entry clearance at the port of entry to the UK. You will need to speak to a Border Force Officer when you arrive and let them know that you wish to be admitted on a Standard Visitor visa in order to study. You will need to provide the documentation listed in the Non-visa national short term study visa checklist.

You can find full guidance on the UKVI website, and UKCISA also provide further advice and guidance on Standard Visitor visas.

Please note that the UK Border Force have recently announced the expansion of eGates and eligible nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America will be able to use the eGates for faster automated arrival at 15 UK airports and Eurostar rail terminals.

How long can I study in the UK on a Standard Visitor visa?

You can study in the UK for up to 6 months on a short course, or to complete a short period of research if you are 16 or over. 

What can and can’t I do on a Standard Visitor visa?

  • You can study a credit bearing course of six months or fewer including study abroad or international exchange.
  • You can complete a short period of research.
  • You can enter the UK to re-sit examinations.
  • You can volunteer for up to 30 days with a registered charity.
  • You can’t extend a short-term study visa or apply for other visas in the UK.
  • You can’t work, even if the work is unpaid, including work experience or a placement.  
  • You can’t bring dependents. If you are applying as a Standard visitor and you have a spouse, partner, child or other person who wants to come with you to visit the UK, they must also apply to come to the UK in their own right as standard visitors.